Friday 30 January 2009

How The Moon Became Strange – A Right Ripping Yarn (Part The Third)


Part The Third - An Unexpected Journey



As I hurtled towards the heavens in a small canister of death, I ruminated on how I came to be in this unenviable position. I also began to curse the day that the Professor and his scatter-brained scheme had wondered into my life.

We had been talking in the old thing's laboratory and he was about to entreaty me for a fat barrel of cash. I must admit, not being of a scientific inclination and feeling the soporific effects of the brandy somewhat, my body began to sag with fatigue. Upon deciding to sit down, I felt the seat beneath me give in a most unprecedented manner. Not being used to odd movements beneath my seat, I turned to inspect my choice of chair and discovered a depressed lever.

The roaring sound that filled the laboratory next, accompanied by a gout of flame and smoke from the rocket, was not altogether comforting. I felt myself being dragged over to the contraption (with scarcely enough time to rescue my bottle of brandy, might I add) and, before I knew it, being unceremoniously hurried inside.

As the Professor struggled with the controls, I attempted to steady my hands enough to pour myself a preparatory travelling snifter (again, purely for medicinal purposes). However, my drink was lost as, with a roaring noise, burst of flame and hideous screech of rending metal, we departed Mother Earth for the uncertain heavens.

This day was proving to be most vexatious.



To Be Sustained


No comments:

Post a Comment